Kamryn Barnes
Mr. Rease
24 January 2019
AP Lit 12


Reflection- Letter 1
   In the first letter, the main character, Celie, reveals to God that her father had raped her. This obviously scars her for the rest of her life, being that she was only 14 years old when it happened. This event is a very uncomfortable and shocking start to a book, and sets the tone for the rest of the book. The grammar is rough, showing that Celie is an uneducated girl who most likely can not afford an education, or was held back from attending due to other circumstances. This first letter serves as a brutally honest and realistic outlook on the burdens that a person can carry with them. Celie's most innermost and unfiltered thoughts are shown to the reader, eliciting great emotions of anger, concern, and grief from the very beginning of the novel.


Journal Entry 1:

Today at school, we discussed how each person carries different burdens with them that nobody else knows about. I liked this discussion, considering I always find the topic of human thought interesting. Nobody in this world will ever know about what a single person is thinking. I thought about some of the things I keep to myself as well. Some of those things were the basic things such as my mother or my siblings. However, as the list rolled on, all of the things were either organizations I enjoyed or people I loved dearly. Often the people and places we care about deeply are the source of the burdens we carry every day. Because I had a level of respect or care for each person, place, or thing, I actively have concerns for that person or thing as well. It really made me think about how inescapable burdens can be.

Comments

  1. It's true too. Our burdens can never quite be the same burdens of others. But it's our burdens that build us up to be who we are meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. The burden we carry each and everyday shapes the way we react in different situations in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True. But do not let burdens each of us carry effect us. It may be something we cannot change but we can get better from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, burdens can take a tole on young minds and can cause a person to feel like they are trapped in there mind. But a burden shouldn't stop you from succeeding in life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog